If done right, push notifications can drive app engagement, revenue and retention in a huge way.
But far too often, brands and retailers become blast happy – over sending generic messages and irritating the consumer. In turn, app users are 60% more likely to turn off notifications altogether.
Below are eight best practices to follow when sending push notifications to your app users:
- Alert users about a price change
- Leverage geo-fence and specify user location
- Create a sense of urgency
- Promote app-only offers and promotions
- Make app users feel VIP with early access
- Announce app-only exclusives
- Back in stock notifications
- Utilize emojis and rich media
Another important factor to consider is timing and cadence. Be strategic about the times that push notifications are going out. One push notification at 5:00 PM before a flash sale can be far more effective than sending multiple messages leading up to it. By being considerate, this gives retailers another opportunity to build trust and strengthen customer relationships.
Whether you send two push notifications a month or three per week, always keep your messaging personalized and never stop testing.