Hi Beauty Brands, I’m Jocelyn Schoolsky, and I am your customer - a professional millennial female wanting to feel and look her best.
Outside of work, I’m most passionate about the beauty industry. Not only do I have several close friends that work as makeup artists but I also spend countless hours watching YouTuber’s like Desi Perkins, Huda Beauty, Jaclyn Hill, Carli Bybel, LustreLux, and Kandee Johnson. In addition to YouTube, I also research products via beauty blogs, MakeupAlley and Snapchat. And guess what? I’m not the only one! There are millions of women just like me that do the exact same thing.
I want you to build me an app, and I’d like to share why you should do it and how to make it great!
Millennials spend more than 3 hours a day on their mobile phone. Millennials also love shopping apps. And for the first time ever, mobile apps are outpacing mobile web commerce. Before you know it, apps will outpace desktop. If one of my favorite brands has an app, I am far more likely to shop with them. Why is that you ask? That app is at the forefront of my device and always top of mind and I expect to be treated like a VIP for having it.
When it comes to beauty products, consumers have a million and one options to choose from. For retailers and cosmetic brands trying to establish their own identity, a mobile app can undoubtedly help in so many ways. Product junkies like myself want to feel an extra special connection to your brand. We choose to spend our hard earned money on your products vs. your competitors. But are you rewarding us? Are you offering your best customers a personalized, unique digital experience? Do you have engaging content?
One of the most well received beauty apps and one of my favorites is Sephora to Go. What do I love most? Sephora understands me. They provide me with engaging content like The Beauty Board and tutorials, app exclusive products, access to my rewards, app only offers and Hot Now product recommendations. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend downloading this app to better understand how Sephora is successfully reaching their customers.
Below is a list of “must-haves” for a successful beauty app:
- Stellar content and tutorials - If you inspire and educate me about your products (how to contour my face with out looking like a clown), I will buy them. I want to see your products on real people. User generated content is so important. Show me your products on different complexions, lash lengths, hair types, etc.
- If I’m loyal to your brand, reward me for it. Whether it be app only exclusives, access to new products before the general public, free shipping, discounts or samples.
- As much as I’d like to buy everything at once, allow me to build a Wish List. I will refer back to it.
- Want to alert your best customers about new arrivals or special promotions? Send a Push Notification! I’m far more likely to see a Push Notification than an email. Hint: I typically mass delete emails every morning.
- Like I said before, I’m a product junkie. Sometimes I forget what products I have. Show me my past purchases and suggest hot new items to try.
- Everyone wants to be discovered. Let your customers submit their photos in app. And even better, make that content shoppable.
- I rarely purchase anything with out reading some type of review first. Customer reviews are an absolute must. And for your more visual consumer, picture reviews are crucial.
- Make things fun and exciting! Run app only contests. Have an event? The most effective way to get people to show is by inviting your best customers to attend via app.
- Lastly, make checkout quick and painless. I’m always on the go. I expect my card and shipping info to be saved. And who doesn’t love Touch ID? Seriously, I have 10 things happening at every moment. I better be able to checkout with extremely limited clicks.